Friday, March 09, 2007

Cell Phone Review: Motorola RIZR Z3

Last week you may remember how I wrote about how I was in the market for a new cell phone. Well I finally made a choice last Wednesday to purchase a Black Licorice Motorola RIZR Z3 from Pure Mobile.

After placing the order, I waited in anticipation for my new gadget to arrive. It finally showed up on Wednesday afternoon, just as I was leaving the office. As I tore through the UPS packaging to get to it, I could tell already that I was going to love this phone.
Features

The RIZR is a Quad-Band GSM slider phone with Wireless EDGE capability. Motorola’s first in the slider form factor, it measures at 4.15” x1.79” x 0.65” and only weighs 3.92 oz. It comes with a brilliant 262k colour display, measuring in at 1.9 inches.

The RIZR also features a 2.0 MP camera, with a fullscreen viewfinder, which also doubles as a video recorder. A high intensity LED camera light is also included, which helps when taking photos in darker places.

In addition to the camera, the RIZR also has a built in MP3 player which supports MP3/AAC/AAC+ audio formats. Bluetooth is also included, which makes it a breeze to get your photos off your phone to your computer (if your computer has Bluetooth enabled).
First Impressions

My first impressions of the phone are great. In comparison to my old v551, the RIZR feels like a solid product with its rubbery exterior and glossy finish. Call quality was excellent. I tested it on the noisy streets of Calgary a couple of times, and each time I could hear the person on the other end perfectly clear. This was a big issue with my old phone, which was virtually unusable in noisy situations.

The camera quality is also decent. While it’s nothing amazing, it will definitely come in handy when I want to take simple pictures while I’m out. You can also turn the phone sideways to take pictures like a standard camera, making its point and shoot function a breeze to use.
Problems

The built in MP3 Player is not very good. I found it hard to use, and in order to use it with headphones you need to buy a special USB headset (a standard plugin for headphones is not built in).

Because the phone is unlocked, and not yet available in North America, means that it came from Europe. While nothing is wrong with the phone itself, this did mean that the included charger came with a European plug. This was somewhat disappointing at first, but extra chargers can be ordered for cheap, or you can pick up a European power adapter from The Source like I did.

Because the phone is black and glossy on the front, it’s also very easy to get fingerprints all over it. While this isn’t a big problem to me, it might be for some people.
Overall

I love this phone and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quality, well built product. It’s easy to use and has great call quality, and is well worth the price.

The Motorola RIZR is available in Licorice Black, Blue and Red. It is currently not available through a major wireless carrier in North America, and needs to be ordered unlocked.

0 comments: